- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 4 Sticks of celery
- 2 Organic beetroots
- 3 Large carrots
- 1 small eating apple
- 1 Ramiro pepper (pointer pepper)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Good pinch of black pepper
- Sea salt for seasoning
- 1 litre of vegetable stock ( I use Swiss Boullion)
- 3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chop onion and celery
- Heat the oil in a large soup pan over a low heat
- Add the onion and celery.
- Crush the garlic and add to the pan
- Peel and chop the beetroot into chunks. Add to pan and mix the ingredients. Whilst this is cooking for 5 minutes:
- Peel and chop the carrots. Add to the pan.
- Add in the turmeric and black pepper
- Pour in the stock. Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes.
- Chop the pepper into large chunks. Add to pan and mix.
- Peel and chop the apple. Add to the pan
- Simmer the soup gently for 10 minutes
- I like a little bit of bite to my soup so I don’t always use a high powered blender and instead use a handheld blender which roughly blends the vegetables leaving the odd chunk or so 💚
This very bright and colourful soup contains no tomatoes! The combination of beetroots, carrots, apple, pepper and turmeric has created a beautiful, almost reddy-pink colour. These colourful veggies are rich in phytonutrients and potent antioxidants, each colour containing its own unique disease fighting compound.
Beetroots and Apples (as well as celery) are extremely alkalising and well known for supporting the liver to carry out its job of breaking down toxins and flushing them out of the body. They help to stimulate bile production, aiding the detox process as well as supporting healthy digestion. I have added Turmeric to this soup to provide an anti-inflammatory boost as well as to compliment the flavour. Turmeric is a very powerful spice that helps to reduce inflammation in the body. Inflammation is the driver for all chronic disease so do try to add it to your food or smoothies whenever you can. However, make sure that you combine turmeric with a healthy fat and black pepper to assist the body in absorbing its powerful compound, Curcumin.