- 2 Cups of Wholemeal Rye Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Bicarb. Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 2 Medium size Eggs -beaten
- 2 Large ripe bananas – mashed
- 4 Tablespoons Raw Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Golden or Maple syrup
- Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Pre-heat oven at 180c (Fan) 200c (non fan)
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a pan.
- Add the Golden or Maple syrup and Cinnamon and remove from the heat. Mix to combine the ingredients
- Measure out the flour into a mixing bowl
- Add the Bicarbonate of soda and Baking powder and mix together.
- Mash the bananas in a separate bowl
- Add the coconut oil mixture, eggs and banana to the flour mixture
- Mix together until all the ingredients are combined
- Pour into a small loaf tin
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes. Use a fine skewer to ensure the middle is baked enough.
I don’t know about you but I often find that by the end of the week, I am left with a few over-ripe bananas with a flavour too intense for my taste buds. However, I hate throwing food away and constantly strive to use up whatever leftover food I have, to create new, healthy-gut recipes.
Bananas are seriously good for us. They contain natural fibres called Prebiotics which feed our gut bacteria and help to boost a healthy immune system. They also soothe the lining of the gut helping to calm any stomach complaints. High in the heart protecting mineral, Pottasium and rich in Magnesium which is a mineral essential for many functions of the body; It has been found to help headaches, fatigue, depression to name a few! in fact, it is used for 300 different enzymatic processes in the body and often, we are deficient in this critical mineral!
My banana cake is sweetened with a little golden syrup, cinnamon and of course the natural sugars from the bananas themselves. It may be possible to reduce the syrup or omit this completely if you would like to reduce the sugar content. It is perfectly (dare I say the word) ‘moist’ and has a lovely crispy crust. A perfect lunchbox filler for children or a delicious elevenses snack for you!
Would love to hear your feedback after you’ve given this a go, so please do comment on my blog!