- 8 oz Cooked Green Lentils
- 4 oz Walnuts, Toasted.
- 3 Spring Onions
- 2 Small, Green Chillies
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Tablespoon of Olive oil for roasting
- 2 Teaspoons of Tamarind Paste
- 5-6 Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
For the dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Teaspoon of Honey
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper for taste
- Preheat the oven at 220 c for fan.
- Slice the sweet potato with the skin on into 3 cm pieces. Mix the sweet potato in a bowl with the Tamarind paste. Transfer to a roasting pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for approximately 20 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- Toast the walnuts in a griddle or frying pan for 8 minutes until crisp. Break into pieces afterwards.
- Chop the spring onions
- Tear up the mint leaves
- De-seed the chillies and chop finely
- Place all the ingredients into a large glass bowl.
- For the dressing – Mix the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, honey and salt & cracked pepper for taste. Pour over the salad and serve!
For an extra non-vegan bite to this salad, crumble some Feta cheese on top!
Green lentils are a delicious source of complete protein; they are high in fibre, vitamins and minerals and work perfectly in a salad. They are also a rich source of prebiotics providing food for our friendly gut bacteria which supports a healthy immune system. I always like to add fresh herbs to my salads making them tastier and more alkalising. Mint is incredibly fresh and helps to promote good digestion as well as soothe the stomach. The walnuts and sweet potato inject a different texture to the salad, adding further nourishment to this dish. The zesty lemon dressing works really well in conjunction with the ingredients, it enhances the nutritional value contributing a wealth of Vitamin C and compliments the salad perfectly.