- One Large Sweet Potato or two small ones
- One Large Beetroot
- 1/2 Can of Black Beans (200g)
- 1 Teaspoon of Chipotle paste
- 5 Spring Onions – finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic – crushed
- Handful of Mint Leaves – Chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive oil for cooking
- Peel and chop the Sweet Potato and Beetroot into medium size cubes
- Boil the Beetroot for 5 minutes before adding in the Sweet Potato. Boil both vegetables together for approximately 10-15 minutes until soft enough to mash.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, chop the spring onion and saute in extra virgin olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic to the onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain the vegetables and coarsely mash them in the pan with a potato masher. Leave the mixture with small chunks of potato and beetroot.
- Add the Black Beans and mash further until these have broken down. Keep the mixture quite coarse as much as possible.
- Stir in a teaspoon of Chipotle paste.
- Add the chopped mint leaves.
- Mold the mixture in your hands to form a pattie the size of your palm and shallow fry the patties on each side for 4 minutes until crisp and brown. The mixture should make about 8 good size patties.
- Serve with a green salad and enjoy!
If you are looking to boost your intake of plant-based food then do consider eating Black Beans which are full of vital nutrients. Rich in complete protein, fibre and prebiotics they are fabulous in keeping our microbiome happy and therefore support a healthy immune system. High in essential B vitamins and minerals, the black bean is great for supporting strong bones. The three vegetables complement each other really well in these patties and taste awesome together with the spicy chipotle paste.
Please do give these easy to make patties a go and let me know what you think!