- 2 Tablespoons of Flax seeds
- 3 Tablespoons of Raw Cacao nibs
- 5 oz Almonds
- 2 Tablespoons of Raw, Cold Pressed, Organic Coconut oil
- 1 Medium size organic Apple, chopped into small pieces
- 2 Medjool dates (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180c fan; 200c non-fan
- Scatter the Almonds on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown
- Whilst the Almonds are toasting, mill the Flax seeds and Cacao nibs until a fine powder is produced.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan and mix in the flax and cacao nib powder until a paste is formed. Cook for approx 2 minutes. Remove from heat
- Make the Almond nut butter by placing the nuts into a high powered blender (I use a Nutri-Bullet) and pulse, and keep pulsing until a smooth oily butter is formed. You may need to keep stopping and scraping the mixture away from the sides in order to keep blending.
- Add the flax and cacao nib paste to the almond butter in the blender and leave to one side.
- In the same pan used for the flax and cacao nib paste, melt another teaspoon of coconut oil and add the chunks of apple. Cook the apple for approximately 5 minutes until it is softened slightly.
- Add the apple to the mix and blend everything together for a minute until all is combined. (add the Medjool dates here too, if required)
- Spread the mixture out on a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper, into a square, allowing for your preferred thickness. I did a depth of about 3 inches
- Place in the fridge for about 1 1/2 hours for it to set.
- Cut into bite size pieces and enjoy with a coffee!
These raw chocolate fudge bites are a perfect fix to curb any cravings for sugary snacks and go so well with a cup of coffee. They are fairly rich and provide a real kick so these are not for the faint hearted! Rich in raw, dark chocolate they have a slight bitter taste to them. However, the chocolate adds a potent fix of antioxidants to the mix. The flax seeds inject a burst of fibre to help support a healthy gut whilst also providing a healthy boost of Omega 3’s. The coconut oil and almonds are rich in healthy fats too which our bodies are so in need of and need to be eaten in the absence of sugar. The apple adds a gentle sweetness to the combination, as well as vitamins, pectin, polyphenols and fibre all of which help support good digestion and detox processes in the body. Apples are also a natural source of prebiotic which is needed to feed our good bacteria, as well as providing protection against inflammation damage to the intestinal tissues.
Don’t forget that our immune system in the gastro-intestinal tract is a high component of human health, estimated to be around 70-80%. It is so important to nourish and nurture your inner eco-system with foods rich in micro and macro nutrients that feed our gut bacteria and provide the right kind of information to our bodies to keep prevent disease and keep us healthy.
Free from dairy, gluten and sugar these bites make an ideal accompaniment with a warm drink and are super healthy. If you prefer a sweeter version, add a couple of Medjool dates to the mix alongside the apple. Keep them in the fridge for up to a week.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!