Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 Cups of Gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 2 Cups (including the lemon juice) of warm water from the kettle
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- A good pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients, apart from the olive oil, together in a bowl until they have combined and a smooth, gooey liquid is formed. You’ll find that the gram flour, once mixed with the liquid will absorb and expand.
- Heat the oil over a low heat in your pancake pan of choice
- Add a quarter of the mixture to the pan and allow it to spread out into a circular shape.
- Each flat bread will normally average 5 minutes to cook. Allow 2 1/2 minutes each side and keep flipping over.
- Serve with a topping of your choice! I like these topped with avocado, & sauteed mushrooms & garlic which I cook in the same pan after I’ve finished making the breads. These would be a great accompaniment to curry instead of rice or naan bread too.
Healthy Tip 💚
These awesome, vegan friendly flat breads are so quick and easy to make. They are highly nourishing and only contain 3 ingredients (actually 4 if you count the black pepper). Free from grains, dairy & sugar makes them very kind on digestion (although chickpeas can cause flatulence in some people so be prepared!). The super-spice that is Turmeric provides an extra medicinal and anti-inflammatory boost and is known for its anti-cancer benefits. Combined with the lemon creates a lovely flavour.
I have added black pepper to assist in the body’s absorption of Curcumin from the Turmeric which also adds a kick to the taste of these delicious breads. They are low on the Glycemic Index keeping your blood sugars stable and will help keep you satiated for longer. Chickpea flour is high in protein and fibre which supports a healthy gut and is a healthier alternative to using refined wheat flour when making savoury snacks. 👌
I would love to have your feedback on these if you make them, so please feel free to post a comment on here!