- 1 Large Courgette
- 1 400g Tin of Chickpeas (if chickpeas aggravate due to compromised digestion, replace with 4 0z chestnut mushrooms)
- 2 Tsp Harissa Paste
- 3 Large Cavolo Nero leaves
- 2 oz Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
For the dressing
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Piece of Root Ginger – half a thumb size
- Juice of Half Lime
- 1 Tbsp of Avocado
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper for taste
How to make
- Preheat Oven at 180 c (Fan oven)
- Strain the chickpeas well
- Dry them a little in the oven for a minute on a baking tray
- Add Harissa paste and a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast in oven for 10 minutes
- Whilst chickpeas are roasting. Heat a little oil in a griddle pan.
- Slice the courgette thinly and length-ways. Griddle each piece until soft and slightly brown. Place to one side.
- Whilst courgette is cooking. Remove the spines from each cavolo nero leaf and split length-ways in two and then in two again horizontally.
- Add the cavolo nero to the hot griddle pan and wilt in the heat of the oil. Remove once soft
- Blanch the sugar snap peas by placing them in boiling water for 30 seconds. These need to be crispy so be careful not to overcook.
- If you are replacing the chickpeas with mushrooms. Slice about 4 oz of chestnut mushrooms thinly and sautee in the pan with the harissa paste and some olive oil until golden brown.
How to make the dressing
Blend all the ingredients in a high powered blender/food processor. Serve separately with the salad.
Health benefits of chickpeas
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) offer a range of health benefits helping to increase satiety, boost digestion and helping to keep blood sugar levels stable. That means they can help curb food cravings and unhealthy snacking and make you feel full for longer.They are packed full of fibre, protein and can assist in weight-loss. They boast high levels of iron, zinc, folate and B vitamins which mean they are great source for vegetarians and vegans who may be lacking in these essential nutrients due to avoiding animal products.